Monday, February 14, 2011

Part 1 of 2 understanding CGI integration

Computer-generated imagery (CGI) intergeneration in any visual medium can add visual flair no mater how stubble or complex.  In fact studies show that a commercial using CGI visual effects will ingage more audience members and increase branding potential over all.   I would show you the findings, but I can't seem to remember what article it was when posted in creativity magazine.  In any case, CGI integration or compositing in general can be easy and complex at the same time.  For the average consumer, adding CGI can be exciting and fun to watch, but for the filmmaker it can be a scary thought.



My mom always asks me how do they do that when she sees some fancy CGI on TV and my initial response is there is probably 3 ways they could have done that.    Then I tell her the ways and she has a blank look on her face and I am like why bother.  With a little background in compositing I always know there are different ways to skin a cat.  For the record I am not a 3D graphics designer in any respect nor do I clame to be.  I am only speaking from a compositors prospective.

3D animation and motion graphics are two very different animals.  In the world of profesional visual content making for the screen different people have different skills respectively.  Especially when you get deeper in the tech side of things.  When I find I have a limitation I except that limitation "not" because I want to quit because it gets too hard, but because I know my brain is made a certain way.  I have dabbed with many 3D programs and I have learned that it takes a certain kind of person and there personality to fit in the world of 3D animation.  The same for traditional animators.

One of the things that bother me when I look for work is I will see an ad posted and it will say something like "need an expert who specializes in photoshop, illustrator, in design,video, web design, html, C++, cold fusion, flash etc...."  ads like this make my teeth hurt and Not only do I think the client is super cheap, but they have no idea it is virtually impossible to get someone who specializes in all those things. In other words they are inadvertently seeking a "jack of all trades and a master of none" or an incredibly good BSer.   For myself I spend years learning motion graphics design and the image.  Yes I have dabbed a little in everything, but it sure does not mak me an expert so why in the world would any employer expect to get quality out of anyone when demanding so much for so little.

If you want a production with CGI or motion graphics you need someone who specializes in that discipline.  I have found that 3D animation folks specialize in modeling the anatomy with some or a lot of Computer programming experience and they are math savvy some what.  From a compositors point of view I can do none of those things, nor would I try or clame too.  There are other 3D animators that focus solely particles, But that is a whole other ball game.  One thing about Motion graphics designers is that we can transition to the compositing world easy.  During my time in school I learned a lot of software and I found that transitioning from after effects to shake was easy, but the environment could get complex very quickly the more it bridged in to the 3D world.  I did touch maya once or twice and made some nice things with some fancy camera moves but, I no matter how hard I tried I was just not cut out for the 3D world.  It just makes me feel like I was back in High school where people where divided into social groups.  There where the jocks, the emo's, the geeks, the plastics, etc...  I think that is how the art world works.  People inherently have a cretin personality to begin with and there mind works a particular way.  No matter how someone tries to be something they are not in the end our physical and mental limitations will cause us to fit where we belong in the natural order of things.  In other words, as artest we must stay true to our self and our experiences if we are going to make good art the way it was intended.   There is nothing wrong with experimenting, but that experimenting should show us what we are capable of.  "Know thyself.."

Knowing one’s self is a lifelong journey and a journey which should be embarked upon with total trust in your personal observations and personal experiences to date. Truth is only known in relation to an individual's perception of reality. There is only one reality and your personal perception of it constitutes only one of many. However, who is the actual perceiver, "Who are you, really?" Reflect upon the following considerations to have an idea of how to view yourself holistically, as a part of reality, as well as to view your awareness as somewhat of a mirror of reality, such that to describe that of which you are aware equates to the truth about an aspect of reality.
One thing I have noticed even with the most successful or inspirational artest is that even they too have limitations.  If you study any artest for a length of time you will find that he or she has patterns to there art.  That pattern is who they are as an individual and it is that pattern that people gravitate too that makes them so successful.
 
Motion graphic designers are are really on the video side of things.  We are very tech savvy and more in tune with 3D compositing and integration rather then 3D modeling.  Merging the two worlds can be a bit of a headache because one needs the other inorder for the whole thing to work.  Its almost like a wall of a sort.  when you deal with algorithms, grading, lens focal length and depth both sides have to be in tune with one another for it all to work. CGI must comply with visual physics in order to translate accordingly to the audience.  The human eye can easily detect flaws from the physical world to the animation world with almsot an 80 - 90 % accuracy.  So if there is any attempt to add effects or realism to your shot be prepared to spend a lot of time, money and resources to get the shot just right.  The average high end 3D graphics commercial cost an easy million or more.  Some times its ok to have effects or graphics that are not realistic.  That is if you are planing for a particular style.

Adding CGI must be very calculated before during and after the production process. The initial idea is to know visually what you want first and formost and know what kind of talent with what kind of skill level will be needed to complete the vision. Anything can be done in the visual world, the real question is what is it that you need and what are you willing to sacrifice to get those visuals.

By
Robert Sawin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews